I want to make a simple filter that takes the output of "ls -la" and reformats it to appear more like the MS-DOS directory listing. So, I would do something like "ls -la | mydosfilter" and get a directory listing with the filename first, the # bytes second, then the timestamp (leaving out everything from the UNIX permissions bits to the group, and rearranging the rest.)

Why don't you simply add an alias named "dir" to a global bashrc file that translates to something like this: ls -la | awk '{ print $9"\t \t"$5"\t"$6,$7,$8 }' This simply outputs the file name, two tabs, the size in bytes, a tab and then the date & time. I'm no awk expert, maybe this could be done prettier.

Marco