Am Mi,06.08.2008 um 15:57 schrieb William Squires:

What's the proper way to make a C/ObjC program (Foundation tool) be used with the pipe operator? I want to make a simple filter that takes the output of "ls -la" and reformats it to appear more like the MS-DOS directory listing. So, I would do something like "ls -la | mydosfilter" and get a directory listing with the filename first, the # bytes second, then the timestamp (leaving out everything from the UNIX permissions bits to the group, and rearranging the rest.)
On UNIX the pipe-in is the stdin., the pipe-out the stdout. So you can just read from stdin to get the data piped and write it to stdout. (TAKE CARE ABOUT THE SIZE OF CHAR-ARRAYS! *g*)

I think, that this is c-standard …

Also, what's the proper place to put the resulting executable so all users can use it in Terminal.App without having to do "ls -la | <path to mydosfilter>" every time. Can I put this in the deployment target once the linker is done? Do I need "sudo" to copy there? I know just enough tcsh stuff to be dangerous... :) Finally, what's the number just after the UNIX permissions bits? the PID?
A file does not have a PID!?!

man ls:
 The Long Format
If the -l option is given, the following information is displayed for each file: file mode, number of links, owner name, group name, number of bytes in the file, abbreviated month, day-of-month file was last modified, hour file last modified, minute file last modified, and the pathname. In addition, for each directory whose contents are displayed, the total number of 512-byte blocks used by the files in the directory is displayed on a line by itself immediately before the information for the files in the directory. If the file or directory has extended security information, the permissions field printed
     by the -l option is followed by a '+' character.

Amin

Amin Negm-Awad
[EMAIL PROTECTED]