I am able to set the initial height/width of the NSTextContainer object of a NSTextView object in IB. However, I cannot find any method that will allow the programmatic re-sizing of the container when the text I'm adding exceeds this size.

Optimally, I'd like to utilize the setContainerSize with an NSSize object that just handles the amount of text that needs displaying (I'm leaving the scrolling behavior up to NSScrollView).

Currently, I'm just punting with the following in awakeFromNib:

   [decimalStringView setMaxSize:NSMakeSize(FLT_MAX, FLT_MAX)];
   [decimalStringView setVerticallyResizable:YES];
[[decimalStringView textContainer] setContainerSize:NSMakeSize([decimalStringView minSize].width, FLT_MAX)];

This guarantees that any string I will generate will fit in.

Where I am stuck is the height calculation for an NSSize object given a string of length N. For my purposes, the width will stay fixed. Since I know the font size (12 pt) and assuming the leading of the layout is fixed and measurable (~6px), I could calculate a new total pixel height if needed.

Is this the way to go, or should I just leave the height at the system max?

--
* Martin C. Stoufer              *
* ISS/IT                         *