On Sep 12, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Ken Thomases wrote:

Cocoa doesn't bother doing a full release/dealloc of your application object (and the things it owns) at application termination. The principle is that the OS is about to cleanup the whole process's address space in one fell swoop, so there's no point in doing it piecemeal first.

I think his question, and I've wondered about this too, is when do NSWindowControllers owned by an NSDcoument get deallocated? In the past I've put breakpoints on [NSWindowController dealloc] and have open and closed documents like crazy, and -dealloc never seems to get called: