> Can anyone suggest a multi Database library for use in developing a
> Cocoa based app? At least support for Oracle, MySQL and PostgreSQL
> would be required.
>
> I notice that Python has good database support. Would developing a
> PyObjC app be a better way to go?

ODBC...  If you're working with any C-based tools, that is.  Perl,
Python, Ruby, PHP, etc. -- they all have ODBC libraries.

JDBC, if you're working with Java-based.

Use ODBC/JDBC and SQL standards-compliant calls -- avoid DBMS-specific
dialect -- and you should find that things go pretty well.  Changing
DBMS is in all these cases just a matter of changing the ODBC DSN or
JDBC URL -- and of course, having the relevant driver in place.

For full Cocoa ODBC support, you'll need to either build from source
or download a pre-compiled set of the iODBC Frameworks, as Apple has
chosen to only ship the dylibs. < http://sf.net/projects/iodbc>,
<http://iodbc.org/>, or
<http://download.openlinksw.com/download/product_matrix.vsp?p=f_db&fm=1&fam=7&of=5>.

I will observe that free drivers are often worth what you pay for
them, with incomplete and/or imperfect implementations of some API
calls, but there are plenty of options out there.

(I work for one driver vendor, OpenLink Software, which also happens
to be the maintainer/supporter of the open source iODBC Project, which
is the basis of the ODBC libraries on Mac OS X.  We don't make any
money until/unless someone chooses to buy one of our drivers -- the
iODBC SDK is free in all ways, and all our drivers and other commercial
products have free download and 14-day (renewable) testing licenses,
and free up-and-running support; upgrading to permanent license only
requires a new license file. )

Be seeing you,

Ted