OS X has libsqlite3 built in. You just have to include the header file and link to the library. It's C based and you can write an Objective-C wrapper functions around it. There are already some good ones like FMDatabase or Quicklite.

Devon

dreamcat7 wrote:
Hi,
As a developer I aswell am finding it hard to evaluate these options myself and without prior experience. For example I would be drawn to the prospect of learning the same api for both the local and remote database. (typically id like to cache the data downloaded from the data onto a local sqlite DB). I did find only one ODBC driver for sqlite

http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

Which assuming (enough of it) should work would your comments still hold? It is was the only Sqlite ODBC driver i could find so i am inevitably wondering if thats a bad sign to use ODBC actually as an SQLite interface. And actually how big an advantage would it be to learn things the first time as the ODBC way only? (rather than starting with the SQLite C api which is what others on this list have recommended).

And, apologies if this is heading off - topic  but

My other option up to now is to use a special cocoa library for the SQLite, and something rather different (MYSQL+PHP) on the server side. This is probably a common question: It actually simpler then to go MYSQL -> ODBC -> PHP rather than MYSQL -> PHP for such the benefit of doing "everything" in ODBC.

If i understand from your comments then using this API will conceal differences between MYSQL and SQLite and help me to concentrate on learning a simple generic SQL syntax. But bearing in mind the server-side code cant be written in Cocoa (objective-c) and in my own circumstance it will be inevitably written in PHP. Do we really end up with a more coherent environment (fewer languages) to work on our data model which likely must be transactional with the client ?