On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:36 AM, j o a r <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The same thing could be said about preference files too though, and they're
> stored using the bundle identifier per default.

Preference files are opaque; the user's interaction with preference
files should be (ideally) through the app's UI or through the
`defaults` tool.  There are legitimate use cases for accessing the
Application Support folder through the Finder, if the files therein
are meant to be treated as such (plugins come to mind).  Ideally such
circumstances should be infrequent and well-defined; most interaction
with Application Support should probably be done with app-specific UI
instead.

(As a side note, I'm not a fan of the naming scheme used for
preference files.  The hierarchical naming scheme used for preference
files is merely conventional; they don't factor into the defaults
hierarchy at all.  The system also provides no conveniences just
because there's a plist file whose name matches your app's bundle
identifier.)

> The name is also not as stable as the bundle identifier. The name of the app
> could, for example, be localized in the Finder. The name of many apps also
> include a variable suffix, like a version number, " Lite", et.c.

So?  There's no mandatory correlation between an app's name and where
it looks in Application Support.  There's nothing preventing BBEdit
Lite.app, for example, to look in both ~/Library/Application
Support/BBEdit{, Lite}.  Version numbers probably shouldn't be used in
the app's name anyway.

> Finally, ~/Library is for all intent and purposes off limits for "normal"
> users, ie. the type of users who would be confused about a bundle
> identifier.

I disagree, as above.

You're going to be hardcoding the name of the folder anyway, whether
that hardcoding happens to be in the form of a string in your source
code or the CFBundleIdentifier in your Info.plist.  Why needlessly
inconvenience the user when you derive no benefit?

--Kyle Sluder