On Nov 17, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

Why does everyone new to the platform want to immediately discard IB?
It is the correct (yes, "correct", not "preferred", not "easiest", but
*correct*) way to implement your interface.

I can tell you that the majority of iPhone developers are refusing to use IB. The reasons I usually see are

It's one more thing to learn.
It's not as good as GUI builders on other platforms.
Generating a UI in code gives more control.
For a long time IB was buggy and incomplete for iPhone development so developers got used to generating their UIs without it.

In addition:

The UI's on iPhone tend to be simpler and have fewer different views so whatever savings in time there might be with IB are not so pronounced.

Apple examples tend to not use IB. For instance there are no Apple examples for UITableView that use IB. The UICatalog example app, which demonstrates every UI element, is almost completely done in code. IMO, there's no excuse for this.

Certain aspects of the UI must be done in code because things aren't revealed in IB or simply can't be done there.

Apple spending months diddling over its NDA meant that most iPhone developers found non-Apple forums to discuss iPhone development so any guidance that Apple might have had over how to write proper apps has been very late in coming.

I do use IB for a lot of my UI on iPhone but quite a bit of it is in code also.

--
Brian Stern
[EMAIL PROTECTED]