On Nov 17, 2008, at 6:53 PM, Andy Lee wrote:

On Nov 17, 2008, at 6:23 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
I'm wondering if Apple's doing a good enough job explaining how IB is
different from UI code generators and why it is important that one use
it.

I think this is a good question. Maybe it'd be worth having a WWDC session dedicated to clearing this up, if there isn't already?

I do think IB can also feel a little less than transparent even when you know how it all works. The only way to check that all your connections are where you think they are is by inspecting everything manually (and by test-running your app, of course). There's no way to generate a text dump that you can eyeball.

XIB files and nibtool output *somewhat* address that.

But I agree there needs to be more on the educational side. And I don't think WWDC is the place/time to do it, frankly, because the people that really need to understand it by and large don't go to WWDC *when* they need to understand it.