On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Dave <d...@looktowindward.com> wrote:
> So I can now ship both and let them decide which they want. I reckon they
> will go for the AppleScript version, it's so much easier and quicker. I just
> timed it, from opening the Script to the app launching is about 10 seconds.
> By the time the user has opened the package and clicked a few buttons, it's
> going to be about a minute using PM I reckon, not a lot in it, but the AS
> version just flow better IMO.

One of the best things about the Mac platform is that developers
typically care enough about their users to invest the time in making
decisions on their behalf in order to improve the user experience.
Windows developers, and Linux developers in particular, seem petrified
of making decisions, instead opting to make everything configurable.
I call this "Gentoo syndrome" because Gentoo is the Linux distro I
think is most plagued by this problem.

In other words, don't be afraid to decide.  As a sysadmin, by not
providing an Installer package, I can't incorporate your software into
a NetInstall image.  This means I won't install your software.  Now
that you have an Installer package, there's little reason to keep the
AppleScript version around.  Don't be afraid to make that decision.

--Kyle Sluder