OK, now I *think* I've got a bit idea. What I've been trying to do is get an ivar from object1 into object2 *directly* without using the controller as a "middleman" Is it true that I have to set up properties (using Objc 2) to get and set the ivars *via* the controller? I just did that and got it to work. Can i only communicate between objects via the controller who (as obviously named) it controls the flow of data? The only reason I ask this is because after reading Object-Oriented Programming with Objective-C - The Object Model - Figure 3-2 "The object network" shows each object sending messages to each other. Is that picture very abstracted? Because if it is, that figure has messed with my brain.