Hi,

So yes, as people mentioned you shouldn't move an application while it is running, so the solution is obviously to move it when it is not running. You will need a little tool that you launch with NSTask that does the move for you. As you noted, Sparkle does everything you want, except it will only put the new application in the same place as the old one.

Luckily, Sparkle is open source and under a flexible license, so you might just want to look at that. I think it should be pretty easy to modify so that it moves the same binary to a different place.

If you want to be really safe, you might want to move your tool out of the bundle and into your application support folder and run it from there.

The code is here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~andymatuschak/sparkle/main/files

You should focus on SUInstaller (runs the tool) and relaunch.m (the code for the tool).

(If you want another opinion, I don't think what you are doing is a bad idea. John Gruber made a point in a recent article (http://daringfireball.net/2009/02/untitled_document_syndrome ) that most users don't want to mess with the file system at all anymore. For example, you don't have to worry about where iPhoto is putting your photos, and the iPhone has no GUI file system access at all. Also as Gruber notes, the vast majority of people who don't like these features and want complete control of the file system are programmers, i.e., the people on this list.)

Adam Leonard