I am not that experienced as a Mac Developer but I can give my thoughts as a switcher. When I first switched over to OS X a few years ago I thought it was odd that an application did not *need* to be installed rather copied to the Applications folder. It was obvious to me that I needed to put it in the Applications folder even though I was new because the first app I installed (I don't recall what it was) had a nice window that popped up and had the app icon along with the applications folder. It had a nice arrow that said drag.

Once I did that I checked the Applications folder which I found in the Finder window and there it was.

I loved the way it just copied over and there was no need for an installer (i found some apps that do require it, shame on them)

I have never had the problem of opening the app from the DMG and then not being able to find it so I cannot speak from that.

I however do like the idea of the app asking you where to install however that could also be a bad idea as Ben stated you are not *required* to install it to any particular location and some may have their applications organized by directories. I particularly do not but it is a good idea now that Ben brings it up so I might in the near future.

I would lean towards not copying the file, rather showing the window like a lot of apps do that have the app icon draggable to the app folder. and some nice graphics making it clear that they need to drag & drop.

Joseph Crawford