On Feb 27, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Tobias Zimmerman wrote:
Sorry, you have confused me slightly (or perhaps given me false hope).

I have 3 targets in my project: (1) the preference pane; (2) a framework;
and (3) an application.

1 & 2 are both dual mode insofar as they can be compiled and run without garbage collection. #3, which doesn't interact with the System Prefs, but uses code out of the framework (#2), requires GC. I thought the point of "supported" versus "required" compile options for frameworks was that the
first would support a GC app, but not require it, and the second
would...well...require it.  So, if a non-GC pref pane is loading a
"GC-Supported" framework, shouldn't it be GC-free?

Is the only way to do this to have entirely separate versions of the
framework? (or just put the same code in each target separately and dispense
with a a framework)?

A framework can be dual mode; can support both GC and non-GC operation. This is how all of the frameworks [should be -- seems one slipped through] are compiled on the system.

The issue, though, is that you can't load a GC-required bundle into System Preferences.app.

b.bum