OK, I'm being dense today, but is it the case that the entire bundle is
marked as GC-required if any piece of it requires GC?  If I move the app out
of the bundle (so it is just the Pane and the framework) does that make it
no longer GC-required (if the Framework is compiled as "GC-supported")?

Again, the only parts of my code that touch the system prefs is the Pane and
the framework, neither of which are compiled with GC-required.