On Feb 27, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Tobias Zimmerman wrote:
OK, I'm being dense today, but is it the case that the entire bundle is marked as GC-required if any piece of it requires GC? If I move the app out of the bundle (so it is just the Pane and the framework) does that make it no longer GC-required (if the Framework is compiled as "GC- supported")?

Again, the only parts of my code that touch the system prefs is the Pane and
the framework, neither of which are compiled with GC-required.

The GC-ness marker applies to individual binaries, not bundle packages. So your framework can be marked GC-supported, even if it's inside an app bundle where the app's executable is marked GC- unsupported.

You can use `otool` to verify the GC-ness of your binaries. If the value isn't what you want, double-check your compiler settings and make sure no wrong-GC files leaked in. (The linker should complain when linking files built with incompatible GC, though.)

    % otool -ov -arch i386 /path/to/MyApp.app/Contents/MacOS/MyApp
    [...]
    Contents of (__OBJC,__image_info) section
      version 0
        flags 0x02 GC RR

"RR" is support for non-GC ("retain-release"). "GC" is support for GC. So "GC RR" is GC-supported, "RR" alone is GC-unsupported, and "GC" alone is GC-required.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler