You guys are awesome!

*1) *I've been trying Kyle's suggestion for a few hours and I can't get it
working right. I broke it into this simple example, and it's not able to
convert it to the 'word' struct.

NSMutableData *data1;
NSString *myString = @"\\x06hello\\x00";
const char *utfMyString = [myString UTF8String];

data1 = [NSMutableData dataWithBytes:utfMyString
length:strlen(utfMyString)];

unsigned char buffer[20];
[data1 getBytes:buffer];

NSLog(@"data1 before: \"%s\"\n", (char *)buffer);

[data1 getBytes:buffer];
word *w = (word *)utfMyString;
NSLog(@"data1: \"%s\"\n", w->text);

*2)* Wagner, thanks for that test, that's great to know! I'll check it out
in a bit, right now I'm focusing on saving time getting the data into an
array or some other format to suit my needs.

*3)* The problem with the SQLite route is that the database size becomes
more than twice the size of the dictionary in a text file. So that just
trades one problem for another.

There are a handful of games out there that are small in size, have fast
it!