On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Eric E. Dolecki <edole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's where I first saw PDFs used like that. Coming from Flash, we take
> vector as a given but bitmaps are more processor friendly. Is there a clear
> advantage using PDFs instead of bitmaps? Do PDFs remain vector in their
> rendering, or are they simply converted to bitmap and then used?

It depends on what you do with them... PDFs (PS, etc.) are only
visible to a user once they have been rasterized but depending on the
output context the rasterization can be deferred to later stages in
the output chain (for example not getting rasterized until hitting the
printer). In other words they do have to become a bitmap as some
point.

Anyway vector PDFs are almost always better for art work that is
vector friendly because 1) the file size will normally be smaller then
a bitmap version (for a reasonable DPI range) and 2) you can rasterize
your art work on demand for various output resolutions without scaling
artifacts (again for a reasonable DPI range).

-Shawn