On May 6, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Eric E. Dolecki wrote:

That's where I first saw PDFs used like that. Coming from Flash, we take vector as a given but bitmaps are more processor friendly. Is there a clear advantage using PDFs instead of bitmaps? Do PDFs remain vector in their
rendering, or are they simply converted to bitmap and then used?

I moved to 99.9% PDF for all my Mac OS X apps. The two main reasons for this:

(1) Full support for resolution-independence.

(2) My graphics are now more usable across multiple apps. My graphics workflow involves using Illustrator to author all originals. PDFs are then created from those originals for Mac OS X apps. PNGs are created (often via Photoshop) for images for iPhone OS apps.

Since all artwork here is vector-based, I can easily up/down scale them without loss in quality.

The only artwork I do not use PDF in is for my large cursor (48 x 64 pt) images. While NSCursor does support PDF, I found that my particular artwork had too many drawing artifacts when scaling between 0.5 and 3.0. Instead of that, I used multi-res TIFF files.

Shawn is correct in his earlier answer to this thread; some artwork isn't really suited to be vectorized. So, for those cases, definitely go bitmapped.

The only disadvantage to PDF (or vector-based artwork) is that you'll have longer initial load times. But, I created an 'image factory' to help me manage that. I can mark certain images as being 'pre-load' and load them up during app startup. Remaining are all lazily loaded. And, once in memory, each is now in bitmap form (you ultimately have an NSBitmapImageRep). So drawing is always fast.