On Jul 1, 2009, at 8:18 PM, Marco S Hyman wrote:

On Jul 1, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

Well, I generally avoid bindings, since I can't comment nib/xib files, and it takes too long to reverse engineer my own (or worse, someone else's) bindings when I'm doing maintenance work. With that perspective, the minor glue code to swap views is no big deal :).

Warning: subject creep.

That leads directly to something I've been thinking about as one new to cocoa: how do you document your bindings? Any preferred formats other than a text
file stuck somewhere in a project?

If you are new to Cocoa, I strongly recommend that you avoid bindings until you're comfortable with datasource/delegate/target-action and outlets. Having said that, a separate file is the only way I know of to document a nib, and in the open-source projects that I've worked on, refactoring and debugging are more painful with bindings.

I think bindings are really helpful in automatic change propagation and validation. However, they are also tricky to debug; if you naively try binding a toolbar button's enabled state to [[NSOperationQueue operations] count], for instance, you'll get random crashes. KVO-compliant code such as indexed accessors can be generated for bindings, but that's as tedious as a tableview datasource, IMO. Likewise, keypaths and array/set operators can be really powerful, but the compiler won't catch mistakes in spelling of - mutableArrayValueForKeyPath:@"someKyePath". If you're not as error- prone as I am, this may not be an issue :).

--
Adam