On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Brad Gibbs<bradgi...@mac.com> wrote:
> Actually, I wouldn't mind sending the relevant portion of the persistent
> store over the network.  The database is an in-house app that many people
> will need to be able to work in simultaneously.  We'll use that database to
> create products and packages and to update pricing and information.  That
> data needs to be sent to the Core Data client.

You would need to send the entire persistent store.  NSAtomicStore is
what it says it is: atomic.  The store exists in state A, then a save
happens, then it exists in state B.  This quickly becomes untenable
for large datasets.

> The Core Data-based app is something we'll give to perspective customers,
> time will access that software, and we won't need access to the information
> until the client is done with it (maybe a week or two later).  Then, we'll
> import the system they've built back into the main database app.

You can't merge persistent stores, so there would be no "main database
app".  Unless you want to open up the persistent store the customer
sent you, figure out the objects that have changed since you sent it
to them (remember, this is atomic store), and do merge conflict
resolution yourself.

> So, transfers might happen a few times per month and they can all be done
> over a local network.

It will probably take you significant human and capital expense to
assemble even a rickety workflow that could pull this off.

> Making the client app would be much easier using Core Data (and, I've
> already actually started working on it).

I'm reasonably certain it would not, having tried to do the same thing
once and realizing how much additional work I was creating for myself,
with no benefit.

--Kyle Sluder