On Aug 14, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Brad Gibbs wrote:

Actually, I wouldn't mind sending the relevant portion of the
persistent store over the network.  The database is an in-house app
that many people will need to be able to work in simultaneously.
We'll use that database to create products and packages and to update
pricing and information.  That data needs to be sent to the Core Data
client.

The Core Data-based app is something we'll give to perspective
customers, loading it onto their computer when the time is right.
Only one user at a time will access that software, and we won't need
access to the information until the client is done with it (maybe a
week or two later).  Then, we'll import the system they've built back
into the main database app.

Brad, it sounds to me like you're on the right track. I think there may be a little misunderstanding here over the impression, correct or not, that you're looking for a multi-user database that can export and import data directly to/from a Core Data persistent store.

I'd like to suggest that you forget for a moment that Core Data is part of your client application. Read your description above, but mentally delete "Core Data", and you get a pretty clear picture of the relationship between your client application and your product database...

The client gets a bunch of data from the database, turns it into objects, and stores the objects. Then, at some point later, your application locates relevant objects from wherever it keeps them, translates them back into rows of data, and sends them back to the product database. The fact that the client application happens to use Core Data to store its objects is really just an implementation detail that has no bearing on anything outside the client application.

-Caleb