NSButtonCell inherits from NSActionCell and NSCell. (See 2nd line of the NSButtonCell documentation). Click the links. Now, try -[NSCell setState:], which will probably work, and -[NSActionCell setObjectValue:], which might work.

I called [cell setObjectValue:[NSNumber numberWithInt:1]] before [cell release], the checkbox still shows unchecked. But when I clicked table column, from debug output of below, both buttonStateBefore & buttonStateAfter are 1, that means checkbox is already set to on state, then why the checkbox picture doesn't reflect the state change?

- (void)tableView: (NSTableView *)tableView didClickTableColumn:(NSTableColumn *)tableColumn
{
NSLog(@"buttonStateBefore:%@", [[tableColumn headerCell] objectValue]);
[[tableColumn headerCell] setObjectValue:[NSNumber numberWithInt:1]];
NSLog(@"buttonStateAfter:%@", [[tableColumn headerCell] objectValue]);
}

Thanks,
Zhang Li