On Nov 27, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Mr. Gecko wrote:

> The reason I'm posting in this list is because I'm trying to write a module
> in objective-c that will work with apache and this is a list on objective-c
> and I know I wouldn't get much of a reply on the apache lists.

The issues involved in this task don't really have anything to do with
Objective-C; they have to do with integrating with a web server.

And to the extent that you have questions about things like how to link the
module or how to set up an Xcode project for it, those are best asked on the
xcode mailing list.

> And I'm not writing a apache module just for a web application, I'm writing
> it so I can get the language of Objective-C to the web easier and better.

It's not necessary to write an Apache module to do that. For example, Python
and Ruby are both extremely popular for web development and neither of them
uses a special Apache module. (There is an old mod_python, but no one uses it.)
They use either SCGI or proxying. AFAIK the same is true of Java. PHP is kind
of an oddball.

That's what I meant by the machine-shop analogy. Apache modules are hard to
write, can break the web server if they go wrong, and are generally used for
specific low-level purposes, mostly infrastructure.