QTCaptureView is almost certainly internally using something along the lines of
OpenGL internally to draw onscreen with acceptable performance. This means you
can't draw on top of it with standard Cocoa drawing techniques. The options:

A) Use an overlay window

B) Implement the -view:willDisplayImage: delegate method and return a new image
that will draw with the crosshairs

C) Place the capture view in a layer-backed view hierarchy and add an overlay
view – I don't know if QTCaptureView supports being layer-backed, or if an
overlay view will then work.

D) Switch to QTCaptureLayer. Add an overlay layer for the crosshairs.