Thanks for the advice. Some extreme newbie questions:

A) Any documentation on this subject? Can this be done in IB?

B) What is the simplest object that will draw a simple line? I have found NSBox
(from IB) and NSBezierPath from docs, both with lots of bells and whistles...
Is there no NSLine, NSPath?

C)

D) Not supported in IB, so I will wait with this for a while.