http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=cocoa+overlay+window&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

> B) What is the simplest object that will draw a simple line? I have found
> NSBox (from IB) and NSBezierPath from docs, both with lots of bells and
> whistles... Is there no NSLine, NSPath?

Considering the nature of your questions, how about investing in a good Cocoa
book? I assure you, you will get nowhere trying to dive in above your level.

This is Core Image territory anyway, so view classes are no good here.

> C)
>
> D) Not supported in IB, so I will wait with this for a while.

Short of finding an IB Plugin for the job, nothing is likely to be an immediate
drop-in solution purely from IB. While checking out that Cocoa book, why not
pick up one on Core Animation too? It will almost certainly be to your benefit.