On 11/01/2010, at 10:35 AM, Joar Wingfors wrote:

> I don't really see what that would give you that you don't already have with
> zombies + memory management history in Instruments? With that functionality
> so readily available in Instruments, there's really very little detective
> work left in the common case.

Well, maybe it's my low-end development environment, but I find Instruments
very painful to use, because it requires so much memory. Most uses take many
minutes to start up and if the problem is elusive, a great deal of time
treacling through the app trying to trigger it. If Instruments hits the real
memory limit, it gets even slower. Basically if you can't trigger the bug
immediately it's practically useless - but for bugs I can trigger immediately I
rarely need it to find the problem! Catch-22.

Knowing that the problem is an over-release due to a release + an auto-release,
zombies can quickly tell me the class in question. Inserting a quick debug
method into its dealloc method would then allow me to exercise the app in
normal time until it triggered and the problem should then be immediately
obvious.

I'm not knocking Instruments, but sometimes you just need a nutcracker, not a
table-saw.

--Graham