Am 02.03.2010 um 00:27 Uhr schrieb Matthew Lindfield Seager:

If I've told a video player to start playing files on open I would
generally expect the player to bring itself to the front after
specifically dropping a media file onto it.

Well, yes. But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about dropping a file onto a *window* of the player application. That's not the same thing as dropping it onto the application's icon.

Dragging something onto an application icon - either in the Finder or in the Dock - is an explicit request to bring that application to the front.

Dragging something inside another application's window is not.

Of course there might be exceptions. There almost always are. :)

or do some usability testing with some target users.

If you do that, please make sure they are actually Mac users, not Windows users sitting in front of a Mac. :P

And as this is rather off-topic for cocoa-dev, I'll leave it at that.
I just tried to give some advice. Do what you think is best.

Andreas