Milder tone? No thanks.

Any API that accepts binary data needs to give at least a hint as to what
format the binary data should be. Saying that just it accepts "data" is
disgusting. Period, end of argument.

Actually, maybe there is one more thing to be said:

Perhaps if the class is something like PNGImage then you can have an
initWithData method which says that it accepts just "data", because in that
that case it's plainly obviously what format it's supposed to be. But this
isn't such a case.

If you want to advocate that it's perfectly fine to omit information about the
format of binary data, then you're just a moron. I'm not saying that you're a
moron for accidentally forgetting to document it, but if you want to say (as
you seem to be doing) that it's OK to consciously leave it out, then you're
just a moron.

-Patrick