On May 21, 2010, at 10:23 AM, Patrick Rutkowski wrote:

> Any API that accepts binary data needs to give at least a hint as to what
> format the binary data should be. Saying that just it accepts "data" is
> disgusting. Period, end of argument.

The problem is that XML specifies the text encoding inside of the XML itself.
Technically it is not possible to know the true encoding of an XML file until
you have started parsing the file, hence you cannot actually specify the
correct encoding before that point.

The API is doing what is appropriate for the technology. An "encoding" variant
would at best be a hint as to how to start parsing before you get the actual
encoding and switch encodings, and at worst would be a complete lie as to what
encoding to use.

> If you want to advocate that it's perfectly fine to omit information about
> the format of binary data, then you're just a moron. I'm not saying that
> you're a moron for accidentally forgetting to document it, but if you want to
> say (as you seem to be doing) that it's OK to consciously leave it out, then
> you're just a moron.

Insulting people is not a good way to get help on a public mailing list.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing