It seems to me that NSTextView can do everything that NSTextField can and more.
For example, on a NSTextView, one can use the method setHorizontallyResizable:
and then call sizeToFit to get it to resize itself vertically instead of
horizontally.

Is this correct?

If so and if I am programmatically creating one of these controls, is there any
reason why I would want to use a NSTextField?
(I know that IB uses a NSTextField for Labels, for example...is this just a
historical artifact?)

If not, what are the key differences between them that would cause me to want
to use a NSTextField? Would it basically come down to whether or not I need
more then a single line of text or not...NSTextField seems to be optimized for
single lines of text, but one can still get the same behavior out of a
NSTextView with a bit more work.

Now, I know that NSTextFieldCell is commonly used as a superclass for one's own
cell based stuff, but I would consider that as separate from the issue of
NSTextField vs NSTextView.

Thank you.