NSTextField doesn't display or edit text at all.  It uses an instance of
NSTextView calle dthe "filed editor" to provide all text dispay and editing.
So you are right: NSTextFiled cannot do anythingthat NSTextView can't because
NSTextField uses NSTextView.

NSTextView is a large and heavy weight object.  If you research the text
subsystem, you will find multiple classes that collaborate to provide text
display and editing.  NSTextView is just the tip of the ice burg.  It is the
user visible "View" part of a huge infrastructure that includes "Model" and
"Controller" components.  It is a big deal to set-up and tear-down the whole
infrastructure each time an NSTextField becomes editable.  Therefore, all
NSTextFields (Actually NSTextFiledCells) share a single NSTextView, the filed
editor, per window.

As for why not set-up the whole text infrastructure for every label and leave
it set up...the best answer is that all of this software worked well on 8MB
NeXT Cubes, and not instantiating the entire text system for every field is one
reason why.