> If so and if I am programmatically creating one of these controls, is there
> any reason why I would want to use a NSTextField?
> (I know that IB uses a NSTextField for Labels, for example...is this just a
> historical artifact?)

For editing multiple strings it is more efficient to have multiple text fields
than multiple text views. An NSTextView represents an entire text system,
including an NSLayoutManager. For each editable string, you would create a
completely new text system.

Text fields share a common text system in the form of a field editor.

This is all explained in the Text Editing Programming Guide.