> GCD is Grand Central Dispatch,

Ah, the part of the kernel that deals with multiple cores, right?

> the "brain" that the OS uses to execute all running processes. You might want
> to read on that subject in the developer documentation.

Definitely! In particular, since I haven't used multi-threading explicitly
myself under Cocoa (just POSIX threads under Unix, and SGI-specific threads,
ancient ...)

> You use NSOperationQueue to basically run a thread that will be scheduled and
> processed by GCD, as opposed to
> "detachNewThreadSelector:toTarget:withObject:" (and other varieties on the
> same theme) which just forks a new executing thread for your app.

Oh, I was assuming that *all* threads and processes will get managed by GCD ...

This is probably not the right forum for this question, but why are there
different APIs?

Best regards,
Gabriel.