On Mar 29, 2011, at 10:04 PM, Gabriel Zachmann wrote:
> Here is what he tried:
> """
> I just double click on the screensaver in the the DMG.
> The double click on DMG still cause error I sent you.
> Double clicking on the .saver file from email works fine.
> Moving the .saver in the DMG to desktop before double click does not work
> either.
> However, moving the .saver from DMG to "/Library/Screen Saver/" manually and
> then opening the System Preference works.
> """

This is really interesting.

Some shots in the dark:

You say you've checked that the two versions you send are binary equivalent. I
wonder if somehow the *permissions* aren't the same by the time the users
receive them. Can you have the above testers do "ls -lR xxx.saver" on the two
versions? In Terminal they can type "ls -lR " and drag the .saver to the
Terminal window to have the path filled in.  Have them send you the results so
you can see with your own two eyes they are identical in every way.

(It *might* be that ls -lR isn't going deep enough and you want to include
extended attributes in the comparison. I don't know offhand the command to do
that.)

If the file contents and permissions are identical, I would think there's *got*
to be something different about the way they're doing the installation. To make
sure conditions are identical, each time they attempt an install have them make
sure System Preferences is not running, and remove the existing installed
.saver if there is one. Have them check in both places the .saver could be:
/System/Library/Screen Savers and ~/Library/Screen Savers.

Note that I have my suspicions whether you are even getting the right error
message. Your plight reminds me of a bug I found in System Preferences a couple
of years ago. Here's the description I submitted (rdar://6453055):

    Install a third-party pref pane.  Start System Preferences.
    In Finder, move the pref pane out of the PreferencePanes folder.
    Back in System Preferences, click on the icon for that pref pane.

    The resulting error alert says "You cannot open XXX preferences
    because it doesn't work on an Intel-based Mac."

    Not that this would happen very often in real life, but the error
    message is inaccurate.

The bug was fixed a few months later. I mention it because the error your
testers are getting *might* be a red herring coming from System Preferences.

Worst case, you might have to resort to a Developer Incident or whatever
they're called.

--Andy