I have and like Chisnall's book - but I wouldn't describe it as

>  BIG, DIFFICULT and ... HARDCORE

I think Chisnall cover's a lot of ground - has a lot of breadth - but isn't
necessarily a deep dive into the API.

I miss a big Cocoa reference like the old
superbible<http://www.amazon.com/Windows-2000-SuperBible-Richard-Simon/dp/0672319330/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301885145&sr=8-2>or
Rector's win32
book<http://www.amazon.com/Win32-Programming-Addison-Wesley-Advanced-Windows/dp/0201634929/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301885195&sr=1-1>.
Those books literally walk through almost every API call with lively
descriptions and practical examples (they are also 1500 pages each).