John’s kind.

A) You’d be hard pressed to find it in any form other than electronic. Even I
only have a single copy. I think Erik hoarded the last few.
b) It is 8+ years old. A lot of it is dated in that new additional have been
made to those classes.
c) As John said, it doesn’t cover new capabilities: No Core Animation, Core
Data, Cocoa Animation, Spotlight, Quicklook, OpenGLES, the list is pretty log.
I don’t recall if KVC and KVO are there, I know bindings is not. I know I’m
missing loads more that has just become second nature material in the last 8
years of writing docs at Apple.

Plus lots of things that can make your app stand out and incorporate into the
OS just aren’t covered (because they weren’t there). And the lack of things
like @property and other new Obj-C features like Blocks make it really dated.
And I’m a co-author, by saying this I’m taking mere nothing from our mouths!
:-) It was probably the most advanced at its time (he says widely out of
character — and mostly due to Don and Erik — back into character), but now
there are better options. (Although I was flattered beyond any measure when I
saw it on an Apple engineer’s shelf and he told me he learned from it... I
admire the heck out of this guy... if he reads this, he knows who he is)

Aaron’s books are great for starting out and getting there.

Erik and Don’s Design Patterns is also excellent and a must read. (Read that as
more advanced)

Bill Cheeseman has a Vermont Recipes sequel that is also excellent. Bill is
sharp, not a dufus according to Roger Ebert (true - search the net), and a man
I have huge respect for. His attention to detail (in particular with respect to
accessibility) is admirable. I doubt anyone outside Apple knows more about
accessibility than Bill.

iOS has lots more. Matt Drance’s iOS Recipes (I think?) is supposed to be
excellent and is in beta. Matt is sharp as hell (see FlipBook) and was an
evangelist (Apple’s loss, and I’ve told him so). I’d say he knows it all.

I’d get my butt kicked if I didn’t mention Jiiva Devoes book, but the name
escapes me.

Someone else is working on an Xcode 4 book, and he seems to be rather clueful.
;-)

Plus, we work very hard to get the doc to where the majority of the developers
need it. We publish in excess of 200,000 pages a month of developer
docuentation (and that’s a low number from my calcs)

If it isn’t what you need you have one option  TELL US. WE SERVE YOU! Sorry to
yell. But I really want to get that across.

YOU are our customers in this case (DevPubs). You don’t buy it, but you are the
reason it’s done. If you need something else or something more tell us. We’ll
do our best. The more feedback we get, the better it will get. And if it helps
save DTS time, that they can spend on other issues. Great.

And on a personal note, thanks to Don and Erik for picking up the ball after so
many years and writing the new book. Now maybe people will stop asking when
there will be another version of Cocoa Programming (which, BTW, the newer book
of the same name, also published by Sams, is not related too).

In fact, thanks to ALL those who write books for the platform. Few other than
Mr Hillegass are getting rich off them (and you have to keep him in cowboy hats
:-). They’re a labor of love.