You might also want to look into the GameKit APIs present in iOS... by going
lower level, you'd likely be re-inventing the functionality these APIs provide
already.  There is extensive documentation on GameKit and its use within the
Apple docs.  I might also recommend the following books:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Games-Development-Cabrera/dp/1430225998

... chapters 13, 14, 15, and 16 cover networking topics, including GameKit and
some lower level stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/More-iPhone-Development-Tackling-Beginning/dp/143022505X

... chapters 8 and 9 cover GameKit and Bonjour

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Mac-Programming-Core-Unix/dp/0974078514

... chapters 13, 14, 19, and 20 are relevant.  They dig into the lower level
APIs, should you still be interested in going there.

Hope this helps!

John

John Pannell
http://www.positivespinmedia.com