JAMES ROGERS <jimrogers_w4...@me.com> writes:

> I am a cocoa developer, albeit a new one.  So I have every right to
> post this question on this site. Thank you very much, but clicking on
> the application in the dock does not work in my case. That would be a
> rather obvious answer and one of the many things I tried. Based on
> some of the web guru sites, I am not the first to pose this question
> and a not willing to accept the answer I see most, "that is the way
> Mac works". That is why I came to this site, as a last resort.

The red button on windows doesn't impact the application (unless it's so
programmed), but only the window.

It sends the windowShouldClose: message to the window or window
delegate, and if it doesn't return NO, it sends the message close: to
the window.

(The application could override -[NSWindow close:] and do something
else, or could return NO from windowShouldClose: and do something else
(eg. hidding the window) instead.)

Now, it's up to the application to leave a mean to resume working when
all the windows are closed.  The way it's done depends on the
application, but the only thing that will remain after all the windows
are closed or hidden, for the user to command the application, is the
menus.

So you should have an item in a menu that will order an action, such as
the opening of a new window.  It is often with the menu File, item
Open... that the user will be able to open a new document window to
resume working with the application.

But some applications are not document centered.  You may  propose a
menu Game / item "New Game", or a menu Activity / item "New Processing"
or whatever.