On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Andy 'Dru' Satori <d...@druware.com> wrote:
> This is a classic instance of having to look at the nature or the application
> to decide if it is an appropriate action.
>
> I use both models depending upon the application.  The general approach I
> take is to look at the app in question determine if there is any legitimate
> reason it should stay open when the main window is closed.

The approach you should take is outlined in the HIG:
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGWindows/XHIGWindows.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000961-TPXREF56

"In most cases, applications that are not document-based should quit
when the main window is closed. For Example, System Preferences quits
if the user closes the window. If an application continues to perform
some function when the main window is closed, however, it may be
appropriate to leave it running when the main window is closed. For
example, iTunes continues to play when the user closes the main
window."

I'd say this is roughly equivalent to your approach.

--Kyle Sluder