On 2011 Aug 22, Graham Cox wrote:

> new-fangled document model … Any documentation spells this out?

At this point, besides the drawing the Kyle Sluder posted to this list a few
hours ago, the best "document" is the comments in NSDocument.h in the 10.7 SDK.
 It might answer your next question…

> What other methods could be a wrapper for
> -performActivityWithSynchronousWaiting:usingBlock: ?

"Here is a list of NSDocument methods whose default implementations invoke this
method because they might present sheets, either to ask the user what to do as
they begin their work or because they may fail and present errors to user:
-revertDocumentToSaved:
-saveDocumentWithDelegate:didSaveSelector:contextInfo:
-runModalSavePanelForSaveOperation:delegate:didSaveSelector:contextInfo:
-saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:delegate:didSaveSelector:contextInfo:
-canCloseDocumentWithDelegate:shouldCloseSelector:contextInfo:
-duplicateDocumentWithDelegate:didDuplicateSelector:contextInfo:
-runModalPageLayoutWithPrintInfo:delegate:didRunSelector:contextInfo:
-printDocumentWithSettings:showPrintPanel:delegate:didPrintSelector:contextInfo:
-runModalPrintOperation:delegate:didRunSelector:contextInfo:
More uses of this method may be added to NSDocument in the future."

> I should mention that I'm only using blocks very sparingly at the moment -
> just enough to overcome some deprecation warnings in things like NSOpenPanel;
> I don't use them extensively. Neither is my app very largely making use of
> threads, operation queues , GCD etc. It should be a pretty simple case.

Well, running in 10.7, Cocoa is using boatloads of that stuff.  Look carefully
at any NSDocument method which you've overridden.  If possible, un-override and
retest.

I remember there was discussion of this in xcode-us...@lists.apple.com