On 2011 Aug 22, at 20:24, Graham Cox wrote:

> there seems to still be a compatibility code path that supports this within
> NSDocument, but that compatibility code path is not in itself compatible with
> the new document saving malarkey. So, it's Apple's bug, but perhaps not one
> they would care about at this stage.

Ah, I had the same now-familiar -[NSDocument
performActivityWithSynchronousWaiting:usingBlock:] deadlock a few weeks ago,
because I had not implemented saveToURL:::completionHandler:.  And then it
happened again; solved that problem by adopting asynchronous saving.

My advice to anyone retrofitting Autosave in Place into an older app is to do
more.  If you're overriding the older synchronous methods, write overrides for
the new block-based methods too.  Adopt asynchronous saving too.  Although
these new features appear to be à la carte, I'm sure Apple has done much more
testing using them all together.