On 18/10/2011, at 10:40 AM, Graham Cox wrote:

> To actually submit an app to the App Store, it needs to be made into a signed
> installer package. The Organizer performs this packaging and signing task.
>
> For running in the Finder for testing, you don't need to bother with it.
> However, in my case I have not added code for verifying the receipt, so I've
> not run into the issue you have.
>
> Perhaps your verification code is using the wrong certificate? Once you
> return 173 to the Finder, presumably that will act as if the whole thing came
> from the App Store, so may be looking for certain things to be in place, such
> as a signed installer receipt, etc, which of course you don't have, as you
> haven't built a signed installer. But that shouldn't matter - your code which
> checks the app receipt doesn't require that, so it should not be erroneously
> returning 173 in the first place. What you have shown is that if the
> verification fails, the Finder will attempt to resolve it, it's just that you
> don't have the pieces in place to allow it to do that. That's OK, by the time
> your app is reviewed and available on the App Store, it will be correct by
> definition and so that will work on a users machine. What you need to do is
> ensure that the receipt verification you have succeeds!

It can't be that the verification code is using the wrong cert, because the
receipt checking exits immediately it doesn't find a receipt in the app
wrapper, and the system takes over from there to try to get a testing receipt
from the app store, and it never succeeds in doing that, either because it says
my app is not signed (if I signed using the Mac Developer cert, or with the
test account/sandbox error if I signed using the 3rd party application cert. It
never gets to the point where it's actually validating a receipt within my app.
There's definitely some piece of the puzzle missing, but I don't know what...

Thanks for the info on the update mechanism and receipts - thought it must work
something like that, but there didn't seem to be anything about it in the
documentation.