I looked a bit deeper and the problem seems to be, not so much with having a
formatter attached to the field, but more essentially with returning no from
the control:isValidObject: delegate method, when the text field's value is
bound to an object controller. This causes the system to want to put up an
alert and that appears to cause issues if the text field lives in a popover.

I created a minimal project exhibiting the issue, and will submit it to the bug
reporter.

-António

On 22 Oct 2011, at 07:27, Antonio Nunes wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2011, at 17:23, Nick Zitzmann wrote:
>
>>> 2011-10-21 11:49:49.520 AwesomeApp[35994:707] -[NSPopoverFrame
>>> titlebarRect]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1050e7a30
>>
>> …often happens when an object was deallocated, and then some other object
>> was allocated in its place, and then the original object was addressed after
>> it was deallocated & something else took its place. Try running your code
>> using Instruments' zombies template and then reproducing the problem. If it
>> stops due to a zombie access, and the trace shows the problem happened
>> completely within the AppKit, then it is a framework bug. Otherwise, your
>> code most likely over-released something.
>
> Thanks Nick,
>
> I fired up Zombies and it did not catch anything. I also had a close look at
> my code and, not only am I not deallocating anything, the whole view
> controller code doesn't even allocate any objects.
>
> Then I had a search on "titlebarRect" and found a cocoa-dev message from
> August where the author wrote:
>
>> I'm playing with popover too and noticed a problem when using formatters. If
>> there's a validation error, my application crashes when the framework try to
>> present a sheet displaying the error.
>>
>> -[NSPopoverFrame titlebarRect]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
>> 0x102075780
>>
>> Of course, popovers don't have titlebars…
>
> Time to fire up the bug reporter I guess…
>
> -António

> And you would accept the seasons of your
> heart, even as you have always accepted
> the seasons that pass over your field.
>
> --Kahlil Gibran
>
> This email sent to devli...@sintraworks.com