On 12 Nov 2011, at 18:45, Nathan Sims wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2011, at 10:56 AM, Thomas Davie wrote:
>> Okay, does this mean that an object instantiated by a C function has
>> persistence across C function calls? In the example above you have:
>>   [objcCode call];
>> I'm guessing I would have to have:
>>   ObjcCode *objcCode;
>> declared globally in the library, and that would suffice?
>
> Declared somewhere certainly – I would highly recommend against it being a
> global though for all the usual reasons to avoid globals.

Hmm, if not a global, where would the declaration go? The C function certainly
shouldn't return it, so if it is to remain persistent across calls, wouldn't
the logical (the only?) place for it be as a global in the library's .m file?

Something like this:

mylibrary.m:

#import "ObjcCode.h"
ObjcCode *objcCode;

. . .

int setup_data()
{
        objcCode = [[ObjcCode alloc]init];
        return 0;
}
int get_float_data(float *result1, float *result2)
{
        NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

        [objcCode call];
        *result1 = [more stuff];
        etc.;

        [pool drain];