On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:

> Did you ever use any of the early releases of Mac OS X?  It was so
> slow as to be largely unusable until 10.3 (Panther).

I was working on OS X at that time. The main reasons for poor performance
weren’t micro-level stuff like objc_msgsend. They were very large-scale issues
that only became apparent after doing major profiling. A lot of this was
because many Carbon calls that had been extremely cheap in the classic OS were
now expensive (such as font stuff, because it had to make IPC calls to the font
server) and the code that called them hadn’t yet been updated to take that into
account. Lots of that optimization went on in Puma (10.1) which was
dramatically faster than the unfortunately-named Cheetah (10.0).

It also took a while for RAM availability to catch up with what the OS was
comfortable with; early versions of the OS really required at least twice as
much RAM as it said on the box, or they’d spend a lot of time paging.

> Professional audio in particular just
> didn't work in OS X for quite a long time, so serious audio people had
> to stick with Classic.

That was more about bugs and the overhead of developers switching to the
all-new CoreAudio API than performance. The CoreAudio folks had already been
plenty obsessive about latency during OS X development, all the way down to the
kernel level; I used to hang out with the tech lead who had all kinds of
interesting stories about it.

I appreciate the arguments you’re making, but you’re claiming more authority
than you seem to have, based on factual accuracy about OS X and Obj-C.