> Threads themselves are very useful; multiple threads taking user input and
> updating the display to the user are not really useful, and the request for
> them more often than not betrays a lack of understanding of threading.

So you think it'd be great it every GUI app shared the same serial queue for
all interactivity and drawing?  Boy do I have a Mac Classic to sell you...

The reality is of course more of a compromise.  It's quite common to do drawing
across multiple threads, though you still synchronise the final "blits" around
a single thread (i.e. the main thread).  Likewise even event handling is often
effectively multi-threaded, because you dispatch from the main thread to a
variety of tasks, queues or worker threads.

Having a UI framework that either offloads some of this for you can actually be
very useful.  It would also be closer to the user experience we're trying to
portray - for example, that each document on an app is totally independent.
Having all documents hang because one is having issues (Safari I'm looking at
you, you evil bastard) completely breaks that illusion.