On Mar 20, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Charles Srstka wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2012, at 1:21 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
>
>> It ran the constraints system, solved for the maximum size of the content
>> view, and prevented you from resizing the NSWindow. But it knew what all the
>> subviews were: the empty set. That's not the same as solving the constraints
>> system without regard to subviews.
>
> Sure it is. The developers of the NSWindow object had no idea what views I
> was going to put into it, so they coded it to dynamically determine its min
> and max size based on what views it contains at runtime. I’d like to do the
> same thing with my view class.

NSWindow runs the constraint system on its view hierarchy, and then constrains
the size of the window the size computer for its content view.

> Running the constraints system, solving for the maximum size of the content
> view, and preventing the view from being resized any larger than that is
> *precisely* what I’d like to do. Is there any way to do this (short of
> iterating through the constraints and doing the math manually, which is not
> likely to be future-proof given that Apple could add new constraint types in
> the future that my view would’t know about)?

The formulation of your question led me to believe you wanted to run the
constraints system on a view without care for the subviews it contained. Of
course NSWindow doesn't know what's contained within its contentView; including
that bit in your question is a bit misleading.

Does calling -layoutSubtreeIfNeeded not do what you want?

--Kyle Sluder