On Mar 20, 2012, at 4:29 PM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

> I am getting a bit befuddled. Is the following what we have:
>
> 1. A certain view hierarchy managed by a set of constraints.

Yes.

> 2. A certain Charles, who wishes to programatically modify (maximise?) the
> size of one (or more) of the managed views in such a way that it doesn't
> cause a layout exception.

Close. A certain Charles, who wishes to make a generalized view that will allow
the user to resize it as he or she wishes, but needs to make sure the size is
legal in order to avoid throwing exceptions, flooding the console with
warnings, and otherwise being bad. And since this is a generalized view, the
certain Charles needs to cover the corner cases, one being when the view has a
maximum size.

> 3. In order to perform 2, Charles wants to be able to query the layout for a
> given view to determine its (maximum?) allowed size.

Yes, in order to perform 2, a certain Charles wants to be able to query for
both the minimum and maximum size (he’s already got the minimum), so he can be
sure the size that the user wants to set is within those boundaries. This way,
if a bad size comes from the user, the certain Charles can adjust it. But in
these situations, Charles wants to make the size as close to what the user
asked for as is possible. Think what happens when a certain Jonathan resizes a
view with constraints by dragging its edges around in IB. That’s what Charles
wants to do.

Ugh, too much use of the third person makes Charles nauseous. Not going to do
that again. :-D

Charles